Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Bagels, Letters, & Swimming with Dolphins

.     .     .     .

There were so many benefits to being an art history major.

One semester, my Mondays and Wednesdays were something like:

Late 19th Century European Painting          11-12:45
Minorities in Early American Art                 1-2:15
Get a Bagel Before I Die                        2:15-2:30
Age of Giants: Leonardo & Michelangelo    2:30-3:45

Friends of Art Bookshop, inside the fine arts building, sold bagels: egg, pretzel, spinach, everyseed, honeywheat, etc. The only two kinds of their schmears I cared about were cinnamon sugar and honey almond. These things could return sweet life to me after grueling but brilliant lectures.

While there, I always perused their trinkets, art books, and oh dear goodness is that stationary? And it's so beautiful.


Naturally I had to send these out. Part of me was nervous. "These'll take days to weeks to get there, or they'll get lost." Growing up with the rise of e-mail didn't inspire confidence. But after sending them out, I got a beautiful response.

I never knew til then how sending a letter was the closest thing to appearing on their front porch. There's something so personal about handwriting their names and seeking out their address. It's like hearing a friend say your name.

I corresponded with a friend studying in Spain via snail mail.
By the way, I managed to convince my roommates this was my Friday schedule. They assumed it was an "art thing."

Swimming with Dolphins     1-3
Moonwalking                     9pm-12am

.     .     .     .

If you could attend any class whatsoever, what would it be? (I choose Moonwalking led by Professor Man in the Moon)



3 comments:

  1. I would definitely choose Oprah Admiration for Experts because I feel that it would allow me to develop a persistent interest of mine even more than I already have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweetheart, I think you could teach the class yourself! You have a bright future if only you'd drop out of that silly, prestigious grad school you're in and work for O Magazine ;)

      Delete
  2. I WAS THAT FRIEND IN SPAIN!!! OMG I'M IN YOUR BLOG!! THIS SO MAKES MY DAY!!! :))))

    ReplyDelete