Thursday, August 1, 2013

Bon Matin: Chai Muffins with Dates & Oats

A la my Instagram
.     .     .     .

My morning tea hardly seems right without a good muffin.

This recipe I received from a friend who served them at every meeting our organization, Giving Back to Africa Student Association, held at her house. Madeleine is aptly named for a French dessert for all her sweetness and class. She's an enviable host with her good food and tea.

{recipe}

1 1/4 cups soy milk
2 teabags chai tea
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chopped dried dates (or figs)
6 tbs canola oil

Makes one dozen~

Heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat the milk in a saucepan til hot to touch. Remove from heat and add teabags to steep 1-3 minutes, til caramel brown. Put oats in a small bowl. Pour the milk and vanilla extract over it. Stir briefly and let sit.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, brown sugar, salt, and baking powder. Stir in dates and oil to lightly coat. Pour in the oat mixture and stir til just combined. Then, pour the batter into a muffin tray. Top with a few oats, as seen above (presentation~).

Bake 20 minutes and have with a hot drink!

.     .     .     .

What do you like to have with your tea?

4 comments:

  1. These look good! I've been addicted to hot tea in the mornings lately because coffee has not sounded all that great lately. I found your blog from the Dancing Branflakes blog. I saw your comment about the most exciting place and when you said a camp in Maine, I was so curious as to what camp you worked at. I was a counselor at a summer camp in Maine 11 years ago (Camp Laurel) and was just wondering if that was where you worked. It was really SO beautiful there.

    Amy


    Fashion and Beauty Finds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, I didn't work at Laurel, but that is certainly a very familiar name to me, because I was at Matoaka! Thank you so much for stopping by~ It's so lovely to meet another person who has gone through the Maine Summer Camp Counselor experience!

      Delete
  2. Well, I usually have some bourbon with my tea, just like my pop-pop, Earl. Thankfully, although I do not share pop-pop's unsettling obsession with taxidermy, I can still carry on his beverage-related traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, that looks delicious! I can't say I've ever made anything chai related, I should try this recipe!

    ♥, Brittney @ True Vintage Love

    www.truevintagelove.com

    ReplyDelete