Saturday, August 17, 2013

Take to the Sky

.     .     .     .

Mid-July, a flight carried me from Maine to Georgia, down the east coast. I had never appreciated flying so much until I was up there looking down on the coast.

"The view of the coast is sublime. The tiny islands in cozy bays, seagulls on the docks, the sea and sky becoming the same in their hues of blue -- it's enchanting. I saw a lighthouse far away, where it appeared to be in the sky more than the sea. Now Maine is a white and green blue through the hazy clouds."
Oh yes, I was waxing all sorts of poetic in my diary while in my free upgraded seat with a whole row to myself. Absolutely enchanting three hours spent.

As a writer, flying has stuck itself into my imagination ever since. From up there, the hills, waves, and fissures of the earth appeared flat. Everything looked so much closer together. I think I may have forgotten until then that magical quality flight has.

Heron by ChrisSpies


Lyrics from Vanilla Twilight by Owl City



Amelie (2009)


Howl's Moving Castle by Studio Ghibli

.     .     .     .

You. Flying. Tell me about it.



Note: None of these photos are mine.




1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love your writing. The way you make an ordinary activity sound so dreamy and poetic is just lovely. Flying is amazing. It always astounds me how a small vessel carrying about 200 people can shoot itself into the sky and stay there. Modern marvels. It does give you a different perspective. Being up above everyone and everything else makes you realize how much you are just a small piece of the overall puzzle. What overwhelms you on land seems a bit more insignificant in the air. Thanks for this pick me up:) I hope you're having a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete